The Big Reveal


New York is a living breathing animal. It’s in a different mood every day. So ever changing that no one, no matter how long they’ve been living here, can tell you what crazy new thing the city will drop on you on any given day. Fret not! I am pulling out the big guns now and revealing the secret to how to know about every single event that is happening or upcoming in New York. ARE YOU READY FOR IT? Well, here goes..

My numero uno go to site is an event aggregator called pulsd (https://pulsd.com/new-york). I’ve subscribed to it and receive two email alerts daily- one that arrives well timed with my morning coffee and the second with my afternoon tea. Each email lists 4-5 most happening events in the city. Half of these will be lunch or dinner discount deals (which are better than Groupon https://www.groupon.com/). The rest is where the cool-ness lies, so many of which are gratis. Example, a famous celebrity coming to a shopping mall near you to launch a new range of perfume; disco beats yoga followed by cocktails; opera in a public park. Pick your passion- sports, food & drinks, exercise, party, clothes & accessories, art & literature- this site will keep you posted on all. And for bigger events- say, a four hour long ’20s themed jazz & burlesque cocktail fest- pulsd will start prepping you as soon as the news is out, many a times offering codes for discounted admission as well. So you can either plan for such things well ahead of time or choose to go for any of the daily events that the site announces. And, oh, there is a pulsd app as well. If you don’t want daily emails, you can just go to the app and search by category for any event.
Some pulsd informed events that I attended: Seeing the GOAT in tennis, a fully edible gingerbread house, opera in the park
Thrillist (https://www.thrillist.com/new-york) is another useful site, which sends an email a day, that could keep the blues at bay. The emails have short articles about events, movies, adventure, shopping- all the latest trends in New York and US. What I find useful- a monthly email from Thrillist that lists one different event to explore for every single day of the month. Also look out here for the various National Days (which I’ll write about in a separate blog) in US that can be super fun.
 Source: Thrillist
And finally, since I’m a Manhattanite, I follow Downtown Alliance (https://www.downtownny.com/). This one sends a weekly email, capturing all the cool things going on in, as the name implies, “downtown” Manhattan. Sometimes pulsd also mentions these events, but I have often found unique stuff on this site alone.
Prismatica. Source: Downtown Alliance 
With my big reveal, I hope that ignorance is now only a matter of choice. Choose to subscribe or don’t, use the info to keep your social game strong or live life vicariously--the decision is yours mis amigos.

Comments

  1. As a helpful reader pointed out- another way to be in the know, is to just be friends with those who are/like to be in the know ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New York does not speak English..

Live the American dream